Admission Policies & Application Guidelines
【Fall Admission (October Enrollment)】
Admission Policies & Application Guidelines 2023
1. Course, Research Area and Number of Admission
Coursefor Oral Science
〔Division of Oral Biology and Biomaterials Science〕
Tissue and Developmental Biology（Department of Tissue and Developmental Biology）
Morphological Oral and Brain Science（Department of Systematic Anatomy and Neurobiology）
Oral Physiology（Department of Oral Physiology）
Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry（Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry）
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology（Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology）
Molecular and Cellular Microbiology（Department of Microbiology）
Neuropharmacology（Department of Pharmacology）
Biomaterials Science（Department of Dental Biomaterials）
〔Division of Oral Infection Control〕
Preventive Dentistry（Department of Preventive Dentistry）
Restorative Dentistry and Endodontology（Department of Restorative Dentistry and Endodontology）
Periodontology（Department of Periodontology and Regenerative Dentistry）
〔Division of Oral Reconstruction and Comprehensive Dentistry〕
Fixed Prosthodontics（Department of Fixed Prosthodontics and Orofacial Function）
Removable Prosthodontics, Implantology and Gerodontology（Department of Removable Prosthodontics and Gerodontology）
Interdisciplinary Dentistry（Department of Interdisciplinary Dentistry）
〔Division of Oral Surgery〕
Surgery for Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases（Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery）
Oral and Maxillofacial Oncology（Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Oncology and Surgery）
Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology（Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology）
Dental Anesthesiology（Department of Dental Anesthesiology）
〔Division of Growth and Development Dentistry〕
Pediatric Dentistry（Department of Pediatric Dentistry）
Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics（Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics）
Special Needs Dentistry（Department of Special Needs Dentistry）
Oral-Facial Disorders and Therapeutics（Department of Rehabilitation for Orofacial Disorders）
〔Center for Frontier Oral Science〕
Frontier Biology（Department of Oral Cellular Biology）
〔Osaka Women’s and Children’s Hospital〕
Genetics for Craniofacial Development
The number of students to be admitted
A few students per admission.
For detailed information on the research carried out in each department, please visit the “Facilities of Graduate School of Dentistry” page on the Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry website.https://global.dent.osaka-u.ac.jp/academics/graduate-school-of-dentistry/
2. Application Eligibility
Individuals who do not hold Japanese citizenship and would hold a College Student resident status at the time of enrollment, and whose educational background matches one of the following.
(1) Individuals who expect to complete 18 years of schooling in a country other than Japan (The final course
s should be either of medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences, or pharmaceutical sciences [limited to course terms of six years, as will apply hereinafter]) September 30th of 2023. However, if the final six years are in medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences, or pharmaceutical sciences, less than 18 years is acceptable.
(2) Individuals who have completed, or expect to complete by September 30th of 2023, 18 years of schooling in a country other than Japan through distance learning programs while residing in Japan.
(3) Individuals who have completed a Master’s Degree or an equivalent degree (including long-distance education degrees, offered by foreign institutes, which have been completed in Japan), or who expect to complete their degree by September 30th, 2023 with a 5-year study term (The final course should be either of medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences, or pharmaceutical sciences) at a university or educational institute in a country other than Japan (limited to institutes at which all of the educational research activities are approved by the institutes’ respective governments or agencies, or separately designated by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology).
(4) Individuals who, after 16 years of schooling in a country other than Japan, have conducted research at a university or other research institute for 2 years or more, and have been recognized by the Graduate School of Dentistry as having a scholastic competence equal to or higher than those who have graduated from a university program in dentistry or medicine or a 6-year program in pharmaceutical sciences or veterinary science (hereinafter referred to as “a program in dentistry, medicine, pharmaceutical sciences, or veterinary science”).
(5) Individuals who have completed, or expect to complete by September 30th of 2023, 16 years of schooling in a country other than Japan (must include a program in dentistry, medicine, pharmaceutical sciences, or veterinary science); or who have completed, or expect to complete by September 30th of 2023, 16 years of schooling in a country other than Japan through distance learning programs while residing in Japan (must include a program in dentistry, medicine, pharmaceutical sciences, or veterinary science); or who have completed, or expect to complete by September 30th of 2023, the program of a university based in a country other than Japan (must be accredited by the respective country as a program at the end of which graduates will have received 16 years of schooling, and must include a program in dentistry, medicine, pharmaceutical sciences, or veterinary science) at an educational facility in Japan that has been recognized by the respective country’s educational system as providing an accredited program and is designated by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan as a “location in Japan of a foreign university”; and who have been recognized by the Graduate School of Dentistry as having completed a certain number of academic credits with exceptional grades.
• Foreign Students（※） who graduated from a Japanese university cannot apply through the International Admission. Please consider applying through the Domestic Admission or Nontraditional Admission.
※Foreign Students：Those who are residing under the status of“College Student”as defined in the“Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act”(including those who are expected to obtain the status by October 2023).
Individuals applying under qualification conditions 4 or 5 must undergo a prequalification review. These individuals must submit the required documents outlined below to the Student Affairs Section of the Graduate School of Dentistry prior to the deadline.
|To be Submitted||Who needs to submit||Note|
|Prequalification dmission Form||All Pre-examination Applicants||May be written in Japanese or English.|
|Academic Transcript||All Pre-examination Applicants||Issued by the president of all universities attended|
|Certificate of Graduation|
|All Pre-examination Applicants|
|Transcript of Master’s Degree|
Certificate of Completion
(expected) of a Graduate Degree
|If applicable||Issued by the president of all universities attended.|
|Statement of Purpose||All Pre-examination Applicants||Must be written in Japanese or English|
|Letter of Recommendation||All Pre-examination Applicants||From the dean or supervisor (professor).|
May be written in Japanese or English.
1) Application Period
May 29th ‒ May 31st, 2023
2) Announcement of Qualifying Review Results
June 9th, 2023
3) The application materials of those who have passed the qualifying review will subsequently be accepted for review for admission. There is no need to resubmit any of the documents already submitted for the qualifying review.
On the application, please select the area in which you would conduct your graduate thesis research, from the field listed in the table in “1. Course, Research Area and Number of Admission”. Prior to the application, each applicant must consult with and obtain consent from the prospective thesis and research advisor (professor) from the department.
(1) Application Period
June 19th – June 21st, 2023
(2) Submission Methods
Place the application materials (listed in Section 5) inside a 33 cm x 25 cm envelope and send by registered mail or hand deliver.
Student Affairs Section,
Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry
1-8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, JAPAN
・If using registered mail, only the application materials that have been delivered during the application period will be accepted.
・If hand delivering, application materials will be accepted each day during the application period (excluding weekends and holidays) from 9:00 to 12:00 and from 13:00 to 16:00.
|To be Submitted||Who needs to submit||Note|
|Application Form||All applicants||May be written in Japanese or English.|
|Examination Slip /Photo Sheet||All applicants|
|Academic Transcrip||All applicants||Issued by the president of all universities attended.|
|Certificate of Graduation (expected)||All applicants|
|Transcript of Master’s Degree|
Certificate of Completion
(expected) of a Graduate Degree
|Applicable applicants||Issued by the president of all universities attended.|
|Statement of Purpose||If applicable||May be written in Japanese or English|
|Copy of Certificate of Residency||Resident aliens of Japan||Must be issued by the head of the relevant municipality and must indicate the status of residence and the period of stay.|
* Not required for members of the household other than the applicant
|Copy of passport||Applicants residing outside Japan|
|Documents Indicating Applicant’s Japanese or English Language Skills||If desired|
|Official Certificate of the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students, TOEIC, TOEFL or IELTS（*）|
|Letter of Recommendation||All applicants||From the dean or the supervisor (professor),|
(May be written in Japanese or English)
|Receipt of Application Fee Payment||All applicants||・The payment must be made using the Application|
Fee Payment System within the specified period.
〇Application Fee Payment Period
June 5th – June 21st, 2023
（Application Fees of 30,000 yen）
・Once the payment is completed, download the Receipt of Application Fee Payment from the Application Fee Payment System and please print it out and enclose.
・For the details on how to pay the application fee by the Application Fee Payment System, please refer to the end of the Application Procedures for International Student.
〇 the Application Fee Payment System
・System operation fee will be charged separately.
・Once the application materials are received, the application fee may not be reimbursed under any circumstance.
・Not required for Japanese Government (MEXT)-financed international students
|Address Label||All applicants|
Note1: Official certificate of TOEFL, TOEIC or IELTS
The valid certificate should be the one issued within two years before the last day of the application period.
Please submit one of the followings.
① TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)：Test Taker Score Report or Examinee Score Report
※ TOEFL-ITP is not acceptable.
② TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication)：Official Score Certificate
※ TOEIC-IP is not acceptable.
③ IELTS (Academic Module)：Test Report Form
※ IELTS (General Training Module) is not applicable.
6. Delivery of Examination Slip
The examination slip will be sent on July 5th. Please contact the graduate school if you do not receive it by July 10th.
7. Entrance Examination
Successful applicants are selected on the basis of the materials submitted, examination results, the interview, and the evaluation by the prospective supervisors.
|July 15th, 2023||Written examination English||13:00 –|
|You may bring one paper dictionary to the examination (no electronic dictionaries allowed).|
|Interview||The time and location will be announced when the examination slips are sent out.|
*: If the submitted result of TOEFL, TOEIC or IELTS meets the certain score, you may be exempted from the written examination for the foreign language/English. In this case, the notification of the exemption will be sent together with an examination slip.
8. Announcement of Successful Candidates
The examination numbers of the successful applicants will be posted as below, and the results will be sent out by mail as well.
Please note that no telephone inquiries about the result are accepted.
|July 21st, 2023 10:00||The entrance of Graduate School of Dentistry|
*: The above schedule is subject to change without notice.
9. Enrollment Fee and Tuition Fee
Enrollment fee 282,000 yen (as of March 2023)
Tuition fee 267,900 yen/semester (535,800 yen/year)
- The tuition fee after enrollment must be paid by direct debit (the fee will be debited from a specified bank account).
- If the enrollment and tuition fees are revised, the new fees will be applied at the time of revision.
- The tuition fee may change.
10. Enrollment Fee and Tuition Fee Waivers Candidates
An individual encountering difficulty in the payment of the tuition fee for economic reasons, and who also has achieved the minimum academic standard, may receive a full or half waiver of the enrollment and tuition fees based on the graduate school’s budget.
Please visit: https://www.osaka-u.ac.jp/en/campus/tuition/remission
11. Handling of the Personal Information
(1) Names, addresses, and other personal information will be used only for the entrance examination purposes (e.g. in the publication of the list of successful applicants, and in the admission procedures.
Of the students admitted to the Osaka University, personal information will also be used for academic-related matters (e.g. in keeping academic and registration records), for student support (e.g. health care management, school fee exemptions, applications for scholarships, or career support), and for school fee management.
(2) The information obtained from the entrance examination may be used for statistical purposes of incoming students or for a future reference on admission process. Of the students entering the Osaka University, personal information may be used as a reference for selecting students’ enrollment in further academic program.
(3) To process the admission, personal data obtained from the entrance examination process may be delegated to a third party with a contract to protect the information of individuals
12. Disclosure of Entrance Examination Information
An individual score report will be disclosed to the applicant in person (may not be a proxy for the applicant) if the applicant requests the total scores of the written examination and the interview.
- Prior to submitting the application, the applicant must contact a faculty member in the research area of interest and have a thorough discussion of potential research projects and other relevant graduate school matters.
- If the application documents contain any falsifications, admission may be revoked even after enrollment.
- Incomplete or flawed applications will not be accepted. Changes are not allowed to the application for admission after submission.
- Application fee will not be returned after application submission, except for the following circumstances
① An applicant applied but did not have the appropriate application qualifications.
② Application arrived after the deadline and the application was not accepted.
③ There was a mistake in the application and the application was not accepted.
④ Application fee was paid, but the individual did not submit the application.
⑤ Application fee was paid incorrectly and double payments were made.
*If 4 or 5 mentioned above applies, plea:
- Reimbursement Requests
Write a reimbursement request (free format) containing reasons for the request and the requester’s name (along with the Japanese pronunciation in katakana), current address, phone number and email as soon as possible to the address in the following section together with the Receipt of Application Fee Payment
- We do not make any accommodation arrangements (e.g. booking hotels, train tickets) for an applicant arriving on the examination day.
- For disabled individuals requesting special consideration for examinations and trips, please make requests to below by April 14th, 2023.
- In cases of unforeseen circumstances and natural disasters, such as an earthquake or a large-scale spreading of an infectious disease, the graduate school will distribute information regarding the entrance examination on the graduate school website or, if known advance, by mail along with the examination slip. If the circumstance requires, the entrance examination date/format may be
14. Inquiry concerning the Examination
The Student Affairs Section
Graduate School of Dentistry, Osaka University
1-8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871 JAPAN
When using this email address, please replace * with @.
○ the Application Fee Payment System
The Application Fee Payment System
How to pay the application fee by the Application Fee Payment System 【PDFファイル】