Department of Dental Biomaterials
Our department was established in 1951 as one of the six initial departments in Osaka University School of Dentistry.
|Associate Professor||Satoshi YAMAGUCHI|
|Associate Professor||Jun-Ichi SASAKI|
|Associate Professor||Haruaki KITAGAWA|
■ Education for undergraduates
In the basic course, physico-chemical characteristics, as well as fabrications and processing, of oral biomaterials,including polymers,ceramics, and metals are taught. We also offer a program to learn about advanced materials/technologies such as antibacterial restoratives,tissue engineering, and CAD/CAM systems.
■ Research Topics
The main research focus in our department is to develop novel dental materials and biomaterials, regenerative therapies, and tissue engineering technologies which will be of benefit to achievement of innovative treatment methods of oral and craniofacial diseases. We are also conducting application of computer technology to biomechanical analysis of implants, teeth, and restoratives. Detailed research topics are as follows.
- Development of next-generation advanced dental materials
- Development of bioactive materials with antibacterial effects/tissue regeneration-promoting ability
- Development of “smart” bioactive materials to exhibit functions according to oral environment change or disease state
- Development of novel tissue engineering and regeneration technologies
- Development of bone/pulp regeneration technologies using three-dimensional cell constructs
- Development of various novel materials for tissue regeneration therapy
- Biomechanics research on dental materials
- Application of AI to material design and restorative/prosthodontic/implant treatments
- Property evaluation of various dental materials using in vitro/in silico combination analysis
For many projects above mentioned, world-wide collaboration with university, research institutes, and dental materials manufacturers are in progress.